The Arts Ministry seeks to create an environment that encourages and nurtures artists of all kinds to utilize their gifts. By consciously and fully involving artists in every area of Marble life, artists are given a platform to share their art and breathe new spirit into the body of the Church, Christ and the world.
This tour will work on all devices, but if you have a smartphone and a set of special goggles, you can experience the tour AS IF you are in the Labyrinth Room itself! Just click on the goggles icon and enjoy the show. Some hints to further your enjoyment of the new virtual art tour:
1. Use your cursor to go left to right or up and down
2. The circle with the square on the right is full-screen mode
3. Click it again to exit full-screen
4. Left double click mouse 1x it zooms.
5. Left double click mouse again and it zooms again.
6. Left double click again on the mouse and it goes back to the original size.
7. The program is set to AutoPlay. Clicking on the tour image halts the AutoPlay
8. Refresh your screen, and AutoPlay begins again.
9. Clicking on the white dots next to the art reveals an expanded view of each art piece.
10. You can look at the other art pieces in this expanded view by clicking the directional arrows.
Light and Hope: Revelations of Beauty
Easter and spring go together. The power of Christ’s resurrection is made manifest in nature by new growth, new energy and new beauty. Created by Victoria Pepe, this Virtual Reality exhibit invites us to experience that breath of fresh air and immerse ourselves in the joy of Eastertide. VR goggles are not required but do enhance the experience. The exhibit will be up from April 4 until May 21.
Wall of Hope, Inspiration and Healing
All over the world there have been many efforts to turn walls into bridges that lead to peace and understanding. Designed to create a spiritual experience in an artistic environment, The Wall of Hope, Inspiration and Healing features works of art that reflect the ideas of Faith, Transformation, Renewal, Courage, Optimism, Forgiveness, Encouragement, Peace, Wholeness and Restoration. Artwork will be displayed on a rotating basis that generally corresponds with the Liturgical Calendar, change of seasons or a major event (such as 9/11.)
The Wall of Hope, Healing and Inspiration is normally on the Concourse Level of Marble just outside the Labyrinth Room. Because of the pandemic we are presenting our Wall online.
2020-2021 Theme is “Becoming More”
As we approach out 40th year at Marble, our focus is on Becoming More of what God created us to be as artists and as followers of Christ. Are you a professional or non-professional performing, fine or design artist? The Arts Ministry is a safe, welcoming and creative community that provides an inclusive space to gather together to support and recognize one another’s efforts, discuss and resolve issues pertinent to each discipline, be spiritually nurtured and to create art.
The Fellowship of Professional Artists
This group meets once a month and to address the unique needs of professional artists who are typically more entrepreneurial. Networking, branding, financial matters, goal setting and marketing will be some of the topics discussed, all within a spiritual framework.
All professional artists are welcome. Please RSVP to Mario Sprouse.
The ARTS Peer Support Group
This is a small group (8 - 12 people) who gather twice a month to do more in-depth artistic and spiritual growth in relation to our art.
The Producers Club
This group meets once a month specifically to help members achieve their immediate professional goals. Much like a goal-setting workshop, the Producers Club will have an accountability factor with the aim of reaching specific professional milestones. Only those who are active professional performing, design and fine artists can take part in this group.
All artists welcome! Please RSVP to Mario Sprouse.
Arts Ministry Facebook Group
Artists of all kinds are invited to join our Arts Ministry Facebook Group. We have created a closed group that offers a welcoming space to support and recognize one another’s efforts, explore issues pertinent to each discipline and be spiritually nurtured. To request to join.
Ideas for the Upcoming Year
Here are a few of the ideas we would like our group to explore:
- Establish a prayer group to pray for artists all over the world.
- Create juried art exhibits in the Chapel or the Labyrinth Room that correspond to our liturgical calendar (Lent, Advent) or a particular topic (Faith, Love, Sacrifice, etc.)
- Connect with other arts communities throughout New York City and do joint projects.
- Invite disabled, hearing impaired and deaf artists to participate in our community.
- Start a liturgical dance workshop with the hope of contributing to a worship service.
- Promote volunteer opportunities for artists in the community.
- Create interactive Bible studies using artists to make the stories come alive.
The Arts Ministry is an important part of the vibrant life of Marble Collegiate Church. We hope you will join us!