The Arts Ministry seeks to create an environment that encourages and nurtures artists of all kinds to utilize their gifts. By consciously and fully involving artists in every area of Marble life, artists are given a platform to share their art and breathe new spirit into the body of the Church, Christ and the world.
Featured Artist Gallery Exhibit
Sacred Remembrance - a 9/11 Tribute
The 20th Anniversary of the events of September 11 has evoked many memories of that tragic day. Created by Victoria Pepe, this exhibit, which features both visual art and poetry, presents the impressions of some of our artists two decades later. The presentation is in two galleries, so be sure to view both of them. VR goggles are not required.
Some hints to further your enjoyment of the new virtual art tour:
1. Use your cursor to go left to right or up and down
2. The circle with the square on the right is full-screen mode
3. Click it again to exit full-screen
4. Left double click mouse 1x it zooms.
5. Left double click mouse again and it zooms again.
6. Left double click again on the mouse and it goes back to the original size.
7. The program is set to AutoPlay. Clicking on the tour image halts the AutoPlay
8. Refresh your screen, and AutoPlay begins again.
9. Clicking on the white dots next to the art reveals an expanded view of each art piece.
10. You can look at the other art pieces in this expanded view by clicking the directional arrows.
Flags of 9/11: A Commemorative Tribute
"Flags of 9/11: A Commemorative Tribute" is an introduction to a proposed longer photo documentary archive video with over 1000 photos that show the way flags of the United States were displayed throughout New York City immediately after 9/11 and during the weeks and months that followed. The photos reveal the heartfelt expressions of people ranging from the grand displays through the windows of the large stores, to the little-known mom and pop stores; from the elegant to the rustic on the sidewalks; many soon-to-be-forgotten, and never seen again. Each flag display reveals the unity, gratitude, heartfelt feelings within the creative diversity of who we are as Americans. These flag displays were awe-inspiring and expressed gratitude and showed how we came together once and shows that we can come together and go forward. For more information about Victoria's process please see the annotations in the VR Gallery. Contact Victoria at PepeLuminSonics.com
Arts Ministry Exhibit Archive
Wall of Hope, Inspiration and Healing
All over the world there have been many efforts to turn walls into bridges that lead to peace and understanding. Designed to create a spiritual experience in an artistic environment, The Wall of Hope, Inspiration and Healing features works of art that reflect the ideas of Faith, Transformation, Renewal, Courage, Optimism, Forgiveness, Encouragement, Peace, Wholeness and Restoration. Artwork will be displayed on a rotating basis that generally corresponds with the Liturgical Calendar, change of seasons or a major event (such as 9/11.)
The Wall of Hope, Healing and Inspiration is normally on the Concourse Level of Marble just outside the Labyrinth Room. Because of the pandemic we are presenting our Wall online.
2021-2022 Theme is “Success Stories”
"Success Stories" seeks to make more concrete the process of being successful as artists and as human beings who are called Children of God. We will not only delve into the stories of other artists but our own stories of triumph over tragedy. Most important, it is the nature of our present journey that keeps us moving forward - through change, adversity, unexpected setbacks all the way to grace, mercy, love, and abundance.
Are you a professional or non-professional performing, fine, or design artist? Now in our 41st year at Marble, The Arts Ministry is a safe, welcoming, and creative community that provides an inclusive space to gather together to support and recognize one another’s efforts, discuss and resolve issues pertinent to each discipline, be spiritually nurtured, and to create art
The Fellowship of Professional Artists
This group meets once a month and to address the unique needs of professional artists who are typically more entrepreneurial. Networking, branding, financial matters, goal setting, and marketing will be some of the topics discussed, all within a spiritual framework.
All professional artists are welcome. Please RSVP to Mario Sprouse.
The ARTS Peer Support Group
This is a small group (8 - 12 people) who gather twice a month to do more in-depth artistic and spiritual growth in relation to our art.
The Producers Club
This group meets once a month specifically to help members achieve their immediate professional goals. Much like a goal-setting workshop, the Producers Club will have an accountability factor with the aim of reaching specific professional milestones. Only those who are active professional performing, design, and fine artists can take part in this group.
All artists welcome! Please RSVP to Mario Sprouse.
Arts Ministry Facebook Group
Artists of all kinds are invited to join our Arts Ministry Facebook Group. We have created a closed group that offers a welcoming space to support and recognize one another’s efforts, explore issues pertinent to each discipline, and be spiritually nurtured. To request to join.
Ideas for the Upcoming Year
Here are a few of the ideas we would like our group to explore:
- Establish a prayer group to pray for artists all over the world.
- Create juried art exhibits in the Chapel or the Labyrinth Room that correspond to our liturgical calendar (Lent, Advent) or a particular topic (Faith, Love, Sacrifice, etc.)
- Connect with other arts communities throughout New York City and do joint projects.
- Invite disabled, hearing impaired, and deaf artists to participate in our community.
- Start a liturgical dance workshop with the hope of contributing to a worship service.
- Promote volunteer opportunities for artists in the community.
- Create interactive Bible studies using artists to make the stories come alive.
The Arts Ministry is an important part of the vibrant life of Marble Collegiate Church. We hope you will join us!