P.S.30M Volunteer Program
Volunteers need for the Tutorial and Cultural Enrichment Program at P.S.30M - Rafael Hernandez/Langston Hughes School.
Math and Reading Tutors
For the 8th year, Marble Volunteers will tutor 2nd – 5th Grade Students at P.S.30 in East Harlem (144-176 East 128th St. between Lexington and 3rd Avenues). Volunteer tutors meet one-on-one with students each week, helping them with the vital skills of math and reading while providing enrichment and developing a relationship. Training, materials, and lesson guidance are provided by Academic Program Coordinator, Nadire Ibroci, who is on-site for all sessions.
Tutoring sessions are once a week for 2 hours: 30-minute pre-lesson training with Ms. Ibroci, 60-minute lesson with the student, and 30-minute post-lesson debriefing. Sessions are scheduled for Tuesday or Thursday between 9:00 to 11:00am or 12:00 to 2:00pm, per the volunteer’s schedule.
Contact Rev. Susanah Wade, or call (212) 686-2770 for more information to volunteer
- Clear Department of Education Fingerprinting/background check. Further instructions will be provided once we receive a completed application.
- Minimum two years of college (with an Associate’s Degree).
- Commit to a minimum of one academic school year (September thru June).
- Completed application form.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation.
- Attend a mandatory in-person tutor training session.
- Sign Volunteer/Tutor Agreement (provided after fingerprint clearance).
- Be on time for scheduled tutoring sessions.
- Advise the Academic Program Coordinator of anticipated absences or scheduling conflicts.
- Report directly to Academic Program Coordinator on scheduled days for 30-minute check-in prior to tutoring (tutor session is one hour) and 30-minute debrief at session end.
- Record all session work in the tutor’s folder and adhere to provided session material.
- Communicate any issues or concerns to Academic Program Coordinator.
- Follow instructional methodology provided during mandatory tutor training.
- Adhere to all rules and guidelines of the program.
- Participate in at least one Saturday cultural/art activity with tutee and family.